Friday, January 29, 2021

Toddler Flax Sweater, a Simple Bonnet and Summer Falls Hat

Three for one FO's, what, what?!  Last spring I finished a Flax Sweater for myself.  I had always intended on knitting a matching one for Xena but didn't actually get around to it until now.


It took less than a week to knit the 4-6 year old size.


I followed the pattern exactly and didn't make any modifications.


Hopefully if Xena doesn't grow too fast, she'll be able to get a couple years out of this one.


I used every last bit of yarn I had left (approximately 360 yds/200g) to knit a matching Atelier Yarns Simple Bonnet Pattern #317 with pompoms!


Since the pattern is written for light weight yarn and I was using aran, I switched to size 6, 14" cable needles and knit until the garment measured 11" from the cast-on edge.


Historically, Xena has always despised hats but she loves this bonnet.


It must be the pompoms!


After days and weeks of rain, the sun came out this morning and we were finally able to have a family photo shoot.


Xena is nothing if not a total ham for the camera.


Some people might knock it or call it corny but I am very proud to be "that mom" who knits matching outfits for her and her toddler.


I just can't wait for the day when Xena knits me a sweater though!


My final FO is the Summer Falls hat from the Ritual Dyes Fall Equinox 2020 offering.


I was already very familiar with Ritual Dyes' Maven and Fae yarns from knitting with them before but this was my first time using their fingering which is a 3-ply twist of 70% SWM/20% yak/10% nylon.  

When all 3 of these yarns are used together, it is pure luxury.


I will admit that it took me an entire afternoon to get the hang of an alternating cable cast-on holding 2 yarns together (it must be easier with just one?) but now my mind is officially blown; it was totally worth it to create this thick, durable and super stretchy brim.


I haven't blocked this hat and because of its slouchy, textured nature, I don't feel it is necessary.  I love how an alternating woven affect is created by slipping stitches in different colors and stitch sequences.

I love the methodical design of this pattern and I very much look forward to knitting it again in the future.  Also, one good sign is that Matt has already threatened to steal it for himself!

No comments:

Post a Comment