Wednesday, October 2, 2024

Petty Harbour Squam Socks

The past few months have been insane.  In addition to losing my job at DWW, we were traveling nonstop before school started for Xena and even after.  Amber and I went to Squam in early September.  I still need to blog about it but I don't have time to do it now.  However, in an effort to share new content, I want to share the socks that I knit for Squam.  Amber and I have a little tradition of knitting matching socks for the major fiber arts events we attend together but I was so stressed out and distracted before I left for our retreat that I actually forgot to bring my finished socks with me; so here they are now!


I used Urban Girl Virginia fingering (90% SWM/10% nylon) in the RBG colorway.  This was especially fitting after all of the racist BS I had to deal with working at MAGA-*ss DWW.  I actually think they should just rename the shop to DWWW.  Dances With White Women.


As per usual, I knit my socks using US size 0 needles.


Believe it or not, I knit this pair in 6 days.


In late August, I also had a brief cervical cancer scare but thankfully I got the all clear.


One of the highlights of the retreat was receiving a job offer from Ellwood Thompson's, my favorite local grocery store/health food/vitamin & supplement shop while we were there!  I also received a job offer from LEGO!  It might've been my dream job but their 2-2-3 swing shift schedule doesn't work with Xena's school schedule or Matt's vampire work schedule so I had to turn it down.


I accepted the job at ET and I have been happily working there since early September!


The irony is that I'm a manager in the Customer Service department and sometime cashier.  Meanwhile, I've heard from multiple local knitters that Debbie has been continuing to slander me at DWW, especially at the meet ups.  It's just sad that a 70+ y.o. business owner feels the need to behave so immaturely and unprofessionally.  But seriously, could I have really been such a terrible retail employee if I am now literally the fun and friendly face that greats 100s of customers per day at a freaking grocery store?!  Finally, before attempting to throw false shade on me, I really think Debbie should have a deep inward look at herself and the following facts.  Not only did her ex-husband leave her frigid ass for another woman, he was so desperate to do it, he paid her vast sums of money - enough to open her own yarn store.  So contrary to popular belief, she didn't work tooth and nail to start her own business, it was just handed to her like any other woman of (white) privilege.  Her son disowned her.  Her 1 daughter is a drug addict who also barely speaks to her.  Her other daughter was actually one of my first crochet students at DWW and she told Debbie, myself and countless customers that I was the best teacher she's ever had.  Now that I am a mother and also the daughter of awful (adopted) parents whom thankfully, I'm not actually biologically related to, I can only say that if your kids are actually related to you and they disown you and/or become addicts, it's not their fault; it's yours.  You failed as a parent.  Reflecting back on my time at DWW, I sometimes wonder if in addition to be racist, Debbie was really just jealous of the loving relationship I have with Xena.  But even if that is true, is that really grounds to mistreat an employee so badly?


Anyway, after reaching out to the ACLU, they have put me in contact with a broad spectrum of legal resources.  If Debbie thinks this is over because I got a new job, just fucking wait.  What goes around comes back around again!


Back to knitting, this pattern was very simple and easy to memorize.


I love this colorway because it matches so many of my outfits.  I am definitely going to knit another pair!


No comments:

Post a Comment