Monday, October 31, 2022

Knit Bat Cape Designed by Kate Bellando

Happy Halloween!  And I can finally say that with sheer relief and satisfaction! Once Xena decided she wanted to be a vampire bat for Halloween, I knew I just had to make something.  I wrongly assumed that there would be a ton of costume ideas to choose from on Ravelry but there really wasn't much for this specific costume idea.  Thankfully, I found the most perfect Knit Bat Cape pattern, designed by Kate Bellando, a designer I was previously unfamiliar with.


This costume was truly a labor of love on so many levels.  The pattern is designed for an adult with a 32" length but since I wanted it to be draping and almost touching the ground for Xena, I didn't make any modifications to the size.  


The pattern calls for size 10.5 needles but since I knit so loose, I started knitting the project with size 9 Signature Stilettos on 40" circulars, but then the cable broke.  If you didn't already know, Signature needles have a lifetime warranty and as soon as I contacted them, they immediately mailed a replacement set of cables.  Thankfully, I already had multiple spare needle sets to choose from and I immediately switched to Lykke interchangeable shorties while waiting for the other needles to arrive.  They're surprisingly quick for wood but nothing in comparison to Signature's stiletto tips for speed doing lacework. 

 

So if that wasn't enough drama, I ran out of yarn and had to order more because literally no store in the entire Bay Area had the correct quantity that I required.  I wasn't using any obscure yarn; it was Lion Brand Homespun but I suppose black is just in super high demand for Halloween.  I used this boucle-ish variety of yarn because I wanted the texture to be like wrinkly bat wings.  Unfortunately my yarn didn't arrive before I left for Rhinebeck so I couldn't return to working on the cape until mid-Oct.  By then I had just decided to keep going with the Lykke's for the sake of consistency.

 

I intentionally used acrylic yarn for this project since it's a cape for a kid and I wanted it to be machine washable. I didn't even bother to block the cape but I think I would've if I had more time.  I didn't even finish binding off until Saturday AM and we had Halloween parties to attend all weekend.


When I stopped into Joann's at the nth hour, after working all day on Saturday night to find ribbon, it was a full blown warzone.  There was hardly even any ribbon to choose from but I am very pleased with the glittery greenish black ribbon I ended up with, even if it is very rigid.

 

It's also worth noting that Xena is wearing the purple sweater I knit for her first day of school last year over her dress.  The sleeves are getting a little short but it's been so chilly lately that she needed extra coverage; the dress is sleeveless.


I love the art deco shape and design of this cape so much!  I want to knit one for myself in bright colors!  When I dropped Xena off for school this morning and saw all of the other kids' wack ass fast fashion store bought costumes, I was overwhelmed with handmade pride.  She does have vampire teeth but she hates wearing them.  I'm sure we'll have plenty more photos after we go trick-or-treating later on tonight.  I still can't believe all of the people that got trampled to death in Seoul, South Korea over a M_F Halloween celebration!  Ugh!



No comments:

Post a Comment