Monday, November 14, 2022

Stitches SoCal and Recent Purchases

I actually bought this 2022 Fall Equinox right before heading to Rhinebeck but ran out of time to post it.  Not featured in the photo is the awesome herbal Healing Balm that accompanied it that I've been pleasantly using on a daily basis.  


I also intentionally waited until I got home to buy their limited edition Rhinebeck colorway, Rose Water.  Also featured in the photo of the sweater quantity that I purchased is their latest offering from their Tarot Club, 4 of Wands.

Amber, my Rhinebeck knitting buddy came to visit last week.  She arrived on Sunday, November 6th, just in time for us to attend my Eastbay Knitting and Crochet meet up at Schmidt's Pub.  It was so nice to finally show Amber around my neck of the woods, especially because it was her first time ever visiting CA!


While she was visiting, we went on a yarn crawl all around the Bay Area.


The main thing that I was somewhat shocked and relieved to purchase was what might be some of the last known available inventory of the Painted Ladies and Wanderlust colorways from Houndstooth Fibers yarn from Fiber Circle Studio in Petaluma.  Apparently the owner recently stopped dyeing.  I loved her yarn and I've knit a ton of projects with it.  While I am sad to see it go, I am also happy to embrace the ephemeral aspect of indie-dyed yarn.  


Amber and I both take advantage of public transportation on a regular basis and it was so nice to finally knit together on the bus and the train.


Amber got to meet Kristine and some of the regulars from my other knitting and crochet meet up at the Hyatt EMB last Tuesday.


I am so pleased and honored to know so many awesome, crafty ladies!


One of the highlights of Amber's visit was just sitting and knitting by the side of the the Pacific at (one of my favorite local chill spots) Mussel Rock Beach.

 

Less than 24 hrs after Amber returned to BK, Kristine and I caught a flight down to Burbank for Stitches SoCal.  


It was such a nice little trip and a tradition that I now look forward to every year.


Sadly, the show seemed somewhat underattended, underpromoted and generally small and dull.


For me, it's just a fun getaway so while it was sad to see it on the decline, I still more than enjoyed myself.

 

I just kind of wonder what the future holds for Stitches in general.  Will it ever be as big and frenetic as it once was?!  Why are events thriving on the East Coast and in the Pac NW but not throughout CA?

 

I was quite impressed with the unique colorwork in all of these Splendid Apparel samples.  I'd like to know if all of the samples were knit by and/or designed by the same person.  

 

Obviously I didn't need to buy yarn but I still couldn't resist buying some Knudsen yarn.  The bases I purchased are from MI and NY but dyed in Utah.


I also spotted this fingering tweed from Two Guys in IL as soon as I arrived at Stitches but didn't want to buy it unless I had a pattern.


Much to my relief, Lindsey Fowler released her Hotdish Cardigan pattern literally while I was sitting at the show, trawling through Ravelry in search of a pleasing tweedy pattern.

 

I also purchased a rotating spindle from some Oregon based woodturners and a Tunisian crochet kit from Kira K whom it is always a pleasure to see.  


Our Crochet Baby Surprise Jacket was cancelled so Kristine and I were forced to take a pants sewing class.  It ended up being a lot of fun and my instructor, Sonya Philip, actually lives in SF not too far away from me!  Small world!

 

It was my first time seeing Irina since the beginning of 2022 and it was so lovely to catch up IRL after all of this time.  Not only did her nails that she did herself say, "Love to Knit", but she hand embroidered the roses on the cardigan she knit! I love her and miss seeing her so much!


I am finally back home now.  I just picked Matt and Xena up from the airport from their respective trips.  I have been crazy busy with work and planning for the holidays and believe it or not, we are about to head out of town (again) until the end of the month in 2 days.


Now, I just gotta wind some yarn, keep planning and stay positive for all of our upcoming adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment