Tuesday, July 26, 2022

Summer Lee Striped Shorty Sporty Socks & Wine Country Yarn Hop Recap

 Wow!  Talk about bang for your buck!  I knit not just 1, not just 2 but THREE pairs of socks from the same 2 hanks of Sock Hero yarn and I still have enough scraps leftover to be used on a pair of scrappy socks!

 

I've knit this pattern a few times before and I especially love it because unlike many other sock patterns, it does not require any modifications for my very petite feet (and ankles).


I love stripes and the contrast of these two ombre yarns is so mesmerizing!

I highly recommend Summer Lee's sock patterns.  As an ardent sock knitter, I can firmly attest to how well her patterns are written.

Generally I wear a US Boys size 3 or Womens size 4, which is rarely available but to give an American example, in the Cat & Jack childrens' shoes sold at Target, a Girls size 3 is roomy on me!  


I think my feet stopped growing when I was 14 because I still have VANS from HS that STILL fit me!


As usual, I knit these socks with size 0 needles.

 

On Friday, Sankari, Xena and I went on a little roadtrip up North for the Wine Country Yarn Hop.  


We met my very dear fiber arts friend, Nicole aka Lambstyle from Davis.

 

It was my first time ever even hearing about or attending this event.  

 

We raced to 4 different shops all in one day and I felt like a cross between a ride share driver and a contestant in The Amazing Race.  We started at Heidi's Yarn Haven in Ukiah.  They welcomed us with promotional totes and retractable measuring tapes.  


I was also presented with the prize above just for being the 25th customer (or something like that).

 

Our next stop was Purls of Joy in Healdsburg which had an amazing snack spread and very high tolerance for my over curious 4 y.o.

 

I have to admit that the shop I was most impressed by was Cast Away in Santa Rosa.  It is such a spacious and welcoming location, like 10x the size of Atelier.  The staff were super friendly and engaging. 

 

Our final stop on was Fiber Circle Studio in Petaluma which I've been to once before and totally love.  I really want to take some classes up there; it's just a matter of finding the time!  Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know I don't *need* any more yarn, at all but I did buy a few things throughout the hop to support the NorCal small businesses.


Super stoked to try out these knit and crochet shawl kits featuring the Comfort & Joy Yarn Co. Enjoy base with the limited edition Summer Vibes WCYH 2022 colorway!

 

Nicole never ceases to amaze me with her talent and thoughtful generosity.  She made matching crochet water bottle totes for Xena and I in our favorite color, blue!  She also gifted us some delicious Sleeping Bear Honey Raspberry Creme, CA Shorebirds stickers and a postal theme project bag badge!

 

In a bittersweet turn of events, my friend/penpal, Angela, is moving from Napa to Vancouver, WA (to join many of our other penpals: The Wallins, Amber and Elekta!) and directly following the yarn hop, we drove over to Napa to pick up all of her old knitting supplies before her house is sold.  When she initially texted me, I assumed that I would be picking up like a half full grocery bag full of random yarn or something.  It ended up being 3 giant plastic storage tubs of yarn, UFOs and 100s of patterns/books/magazines!


I will be sorting through everything for months if not years and already this has brought me so much joy in spite of all of the BS and drama of the world around me.


This book alone, published in 1942 has been such an inspiration! 







No comments:

Post a Comment