Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Crochet Patchwork of Love

When I was a kid and first learned to crochet, I began making little solid single crochet squares out of any yarn scraps I could get my hands on.  I've continued making these squares anytime I have yarn scraps over the past 3 1/2 decades.  Here I am with some squares back in 2012.  Here's the assembly process coming together back in the fall of 2016.  Originally I had intended on giving this patchwork afghan to my parents for X-Mas in 2016 but connecting the squares took longer than anticipated so I sent it to them for Easter in 2017.  It's funny to think that I've probably crocheted a few squares during every single NCAA Mens Basketball March Madness tournament since the mid-80s.


The finished afghan came out to be 14 squares long x 9 squares wide = 126 squares total.  Each square was 20-22 single crochet rows in size with a black single crochet border.  The squares were connected by single crochet with HDC border around the edge.


The afghan covers the top of my queen size bed.  It isn't intended to be used as bedding but rather a warm blanket to snuggle under during the ice cold Buffalonian winters that are so familiar to my parents.  This blanket reminds me of all of the yarn I've worked with over the years.  Many of the squares are made from vintage yarn handed down from my great aunts.  I still remember buying some of this yarn at Hills, Ames, Gold Circle, Pleasures and Past-times (and Past-times and Pleasures) and other craft shops and department stores around WNY that no longer exist. 

Now that I'm going to be a mother, I am anxiously awaiting the opportunity to pass this new tradition onto my child once they're old enough to crochet.  






No comments:

Post a Comment