Monday, March 18, 2024

Knit Big Chain Top by Hinterm Stein

So it turns out that one of the benefits of working at a yarn store is when a customer accidentally leaves a paper printed pattern behind and tells us just to throw it away, I then have the opportunity of rescuing it from the garbage.  This is quite an opportunity here in VA where recycling is a joke and all of our trash at work is just thrown in the dumpster regardless of whether or not it's actually recyclable.  Don't even get me started on composting.  They don't do where I work or where I live.  I do it myself in my backyard when it's warm enough but I do miss the giant bins we had collected on a weekly basis from the city back in SF.

 

I love this pattern because at face value it's not something I would intentionally knit but after glancing at the chart of the "big chain" portion of the pattern I was so intrigued by it, that I decided to try it.


Because it's sleeveless, it took less than a week to knit.  I used US size 5 and 6 needles.


I actually finished 1/3 of the top just while Xena was taking a long bubble bath.

 

It was my first time adding and modifying the placement of bust darts to best fit my figure and I love the results!
 
 

I also tweaked the body a little by adding a few extra increased and then decreases after the darts and then working straight and finishing the hem in twisted rib.

 

I used some Heavenly Stitches Handspun yarn from Patsy Barr that was gifted to me from my coworker, Keyser.  It's sport weight although the pattern calls for smooth, DK weight yarn.  I used 600-ish yds of yarn to complete the top.

 

I was willing to break the rules because I just wanted to knit a pastel colored sweater for Easter!












No comments:

Post a Comment