Tuesday, March 14, 2023

Kindred Red Knit Lackadaisical Fingerless Mitts from PomPom Quarterly No. 41

 Maaaannnnn, I started knitting these Lackadaisical fingerless mitts designed by Kindred Red all the way back in the beginning of June 2022.  The pattern was featured in PomPom Quarterly No. 41.

 

I used (the pattern's designer who is also a dyer) Kindred Red's Rad Sock Jaderade colorway for the MC and Clementine for the CC.

             

It was my first time knitting left and right pointing Latvian Braids since I first learned how to do them in 2019 at a Webs Retreat (as featured in the photo of my white and red sample mitt).  I'm pretty sure I mixed up the direction they were supposed to point in on either or both of the mitts but I can live with it.

 

The pattern itself was fine but the way it was laid out in the magazine was a total nightmare.  There were five different charts spread out across multiple pages which required me either continuously flipping back and forth through the magazine or maniacally scrolling up and down my digital devices.  It kind of makes me wonder whether or not whomever is in charge of designing the layout for the magazine ever actually tries to knit these patterns; I know it wasn't Amalia's fault.

 

While I was hoping this might be a small, portable project, because of the contrasting colors (ball management issues) and aforementioned chart situation, I quickly realized that this was something I could only concentrate on while at home without any distractions.  Since I rarely ever have that sort of uninterrupted time to myself, that's why it took me nearly a year to finish these damn mitts.

 

The double and triple wrapped knots were an unique challenge.  At first, I couldn't understand the written instructions and when I tried googling and searching for any related online tutorials, there weren't any but thankfully Amalia (Kindred Red) was kind enough to post a demo on IG and after enough attempts on my own, I finally figured out how to do the knots.  

 

I finally finished knitting the mitts but since we moved across the country, unfortunately, I still haven't been able to find which box has my sock blockers inside.


So I bought some adorable kid size and medium size Totoro sock blockers at Stitches West.  Above are all of my purchases from the rather anticlimactic fiber festival, plus my Ritual Dyes Tarot Club subscription and some beautiful yarn gifted to me from my dear friend, Nicole in Davis.  


There is a different chart for the flower pattern on the top of the left and right mitts.


The bottom of the mitts is a repeating pattern but the same on both mitts.


I knit the smallest size of the pattern using size 0 needles throughout.


I love the flower pattern on the thumbs.  I also really liked how the thumbs were created with subtle increases.


I know these aren't the sexiest photos but I was at a 3 y.o.'s birthday party with my friend Aaron when I realized I finally had someone who could take a photo of my two hands for me.


I think I'm going to try to knit a reverse contrast pair of mitts just because I have the yarn leftover.  I'm definitely going to take a break before I cast them on though.  I've had so much going on trying to get settled back in RVA; I'm really struggling to concentrate at length on much of anything.  I am about a 1/3 finished painting my new office which means I still have countless boxes to move upstairs and unpack.  Xena missed public preschool enrollment and I'm basically "stuck" (and I say that with complete love) with her 24-7 until August.  I'm going to look into some summer camps or something but I'm not even sure if will work out with our potential upcoming travel plans.  We'll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment