Monday, December 30, 2019

Crochet 7" Record Box

I've been designing and crocheting 7" and 12" record boxes for at least a decade now.  I used to make them quite often but then once I had Xena, I started using the same basic template to make toy boxes for her instead (which technically also double as LP crates).  But while I was at Stitches South, I found an indie-dyed yarn from Inner Yarn Zen in the exact colors of Troy's favorite basketball team, UVA (University of Virginia) and I immediately knew the destiny of this wool.  I bought the last 4, 230 yds hanks of their 100% SWM yarn in their #67 Mustang colorway.  It was my first time seeing and meeting these vendors who were very sweet and I believe are from Idaho.


I made a "long box" for 7"'s which measures about 8" x 16" and fits probably about 200 7"'s, depending on what kind of sleeves you have.


I spent the last 2 months working on this project in between all of my other things and I'm very pleased with my results.  I used almost all of the 920 yds worth of yarn I purchased with a size G hook.  It's rather cumbersome crocheting around thick corrugated cardboard but the finished object is always so rewarding.  I find that while crocheting the boxes in SC is much more time consuming, it's more durable and aesthetically pleasing than using the DC stitch.


The box was very well received and I do not doubt that I will crochet many more in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment