Saturday, October 14, 2017

Lambtown Fiber Festival

Last weekend I drove a few like minded Bay Area fiber lovers from the SF Knitters & Crocheters to the Lambtown Fiber Festival in Dixon, CA.  It was the first time I had ever been up there and it was hotter than HELL!  It didn't help being majorly pregnant but I still had a lot of fun, as did the other lovely ladies.  The event took place at the Dixon May Fair and I definitely felt some classic county fair vibes what with all of the livestock, greasy food vendors, country band stand musicians, antiques and handmade goods for sale.





I witnessed my first electric sheep shearing contest and learned that sheep are are sheared twice/year.  The sheep in these photos were Dorset-Suffolk half breeds.  The shearers work 8 hrs/day and they wear sole-less suede shoes so they can "dance" with the sheep as they shear them.  The sheep literally just plop themselves on the ground and let themselves be sheared.  The best shearers kept the sheep calm and relaxed throughout the process which only takes a few minutes.  



I took a photo of this raw fiber literally seconds after it was sheared from a sheep.


(Well hung!) freshly sheared sheep.


These are a few of the submissions I liked best from the fiber competitions.




I loved the natural colors in this weaver and yarn vendor's stall.


I think it's really only a matter of time until I begin weaving and/or rug-making...


My 100% pure alpaca purchases for the day.  Gorgeous handspun yarn from Fanfare Farm in Vacaville, CA and Black Diamond Farm in Knightsen, CA.  


I've started a wavy scarf with my Fanfare yarn.  It's incredibly soft and a dream to crochet with!

And on a totally unrelated note, on Sunday I finished a neon pink crochet mermaid's tail for my dear friend, Irene in Toronto, who has a daughter named Ocean.


Now it's time to start working on holiday presents for friends and family although I honestly don't know how much progress I will make before/after Xena is born.  



No comments:

Post a Comment