Thursday, February 7, 2013

Origami Time!

I've been focusing so intensely on philately lately that sometimes the other sections of my crafty world tend to get neglected.  Yesterday I decided to put my stamps aside for a few hours to fold some new origami inventory for my Asian Inspiration kits.  I try to make the kits as bright and colorful as possible. 

I've been doing origami since I was 7 or 8 years old.  I have the folds for over 100 different patterns memorized so when working on a project like yesterday, it's a soothing, repetitive process for me, similar to washing dishes or chopping vegetables. 

On the contrary, I also like folding really complex creations that consist of 100-300 folds and assembling multiple folded pieces like this 6 sided Sputnik kusadama folded with double pieces of paper.  A piece of this nature may take a few hours from start to finish but it's really satisfying once it's done. 



Below are a few photos of my "folding station" - desk area.







If you're feeling stressed out and your mind needs a little excersize, why not try some origami?

2 comments:

  1. Hooley dooley, the sputnik is amazing! My kids have made a few little pieces at school and they really loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really cool that your kids learned origami at school! I think the earlier you start, the easier it is to grasp the more complex folds once you're older. This book, Origami Sea Life, was one of my favorites growing up.

    http://www.amazon.com/Origami-Sea-Life-John-Montroll/dp/0486267652

    ReplyDelete