Monday, August 3, 2020

Scrappy Happy Pals KAL

A few weeks ago, I joined my first virtual KAL organized by Rachel Alpine and Summer Lee.  With all of the X-Mas knitting currently on my needles, I decided to mix in a sextet of selfish, scrappy socks.

I was assigned 3 knit-pals to exchange mail with containing 35 yds of fingering weight yarn and a letter about myself.  I also volunteered to send 4 additional shipments of yarn to participants who otherwise couldn't afford to participate in the KAL.


It felt great to share some of my stash along with some happy mail!


Unfortunately, by the time the pattern was released and the KAL had begun, I had only received 2 of the 3 letters from my knit-pals.  The 3rd letter still hasn't arrived and what's the lamest is that the sender is located in Salinas and we both mailed our letters to each other weeks ago!  


So I decided to just go ahead and knit a pair of socks with my own stash.  Of course, Xena was more than happy to help me rummage through my yarn.  Of the six different sock patterns included in the release, I wanted to knit the Basic B pattern first but I wasn't sure if I would have enough of the yarn from my knit-pals for the stripes.  Well, it turns out I probably would have since the amount of stripes on the socks that I knit for myself have 1/2 as many stripes as the socks featured in the photo of the pattern.


My tiny foot size is no secret at this point but when it comes to instant gratification, shorty socks are where it's at. 


A crazy toddler + Matt WFH = perpetual interruptions, drama and chaos and it still only took me less than a day to knit each sock.


I didn't and don't block socks for myself so my jog might be slightly more obvious than some might desire but guess what?  It's on the sole of my sock so no one will even see it!


The fingering yarn scraps I used were from the following awesome indie dyers: 
KindredRed - Oh snap! (100% SWM)
Wonderland Yarns - Queen of Hearts (80% SWM/10% cashmere/10% nylon
Knitted Wit - Oregon Sky (100% SWM)


I couldn't resist using my matching ruler that I've had since elementary school to demonstrate just how short my shorty socks are.  

So, I still have 5 more patterns to knit until the KAL ends in Sept and I can't wait to cast on my next pair!

No comments:

Post a Comment