Saturday, November 11, 2023

Matching Striped Knit Mommy Daughter Knee Highs and more!

 

 

Last weekend Matt and I attended a special SFE competition and philatelic gala at the National Postal Museum, a swank cocktail party at the Waldorf Astoria and dinner with fellows of the Collectors Club of NY.  I used it as an excuse to get all dressed up in my finest handmade knits and fancy evening dress.

 

The photos above are of me in my Summer Vibe top with my matching mittens and socks.  I already posted the fancy dress photos on IG.

It was even chilly enough to wear my Lighthouse pullover which is quickly becoming my favorite cold weather sweater!


Matt's cousins watched Xena while we were in DC and she wore my handmade knitwear too.

 

I cast on a sock in Ritual Dyes Grape but was so busy with social events that I barely had time or even energy to knit.

 

The NPM was amazing! I could spend days/weeks/months there.  I definitely want to return with Xena when we have more time to properly enjoy it.

 

Right after we returned to RVA, I attended a super fun loom weaving class at DWW taught by Keyser.  Our morning meet up buddies Kelly and Angela aka The Peanut Gallery were there to help me laugh until I peed in my pants a little.

 

In other news, I inherited a ton of amazing ephemera from a retired local fiber artist and have been enjoying flipping through it for inspiration every evening.  I finished my first Grape sock and just started the second yesterday.


I literally finished our matching striped knee highs the day after Halloween but only just got around to photographing them today.  Unless the shape of our legs drastically changes, I think I should be able to use my sizing template for these knee high socks for quite a while. This is really a dream come true for me.  Being so short, it's impossible for me to find commercially made knee highs that actually fit me and this template that I designed fits perfectly.  In order to keep the striping sequences consistent, I used a Twisted German cast on for the socks.  (If you're using self-striping yarn) you can simply place your slip knot wherever you want your first color to start and then do the same for the second sock. 


For my socks, using size 0 needles, I cast on 74 sts, knit the cuff in twisted rib for 1", knit the calf for 3" and then started decreasing.  

1st decrease round: *K1, SSK, knit to last 3 sts, K2tog, K1 (2 sts dec).  Knit even for 6 rows.*

Repeat *.* until 60 sts are achieved then start the heel and work as a basic sock.

For Xena's socks, using size 1 needles, I cast on 52 sts, knit the cuff in twisted rib for 1", knit the calf for 2.5" (or 3 different color stripes).

1st decrease round: *K1, SSK, knit to last 3 sts, K2tog, K1 (2 sts dec).  Knit even for 7 rows.*

Repeat *.* until 40 sts are achieved then work even for about 2" (finishing off the stripe of the next color), start the heel and work as a basic sock.

Basically if you want to design a knee high template for yourself, you just need to figure out the gauge of total stitches for your calf and then work down to your regular sock gauge by gradually decreasing every 1-2 inches.

I have a lot more that I want to write about but I also have a lot to do today so I'm gonna wrap this up for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment