Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Stitches West, Socks and my 2nd Flatiron Shawl

Much as I love Xena, I now realize that in addition to being a spectacular celebration of fiber arts, Stitches is a wonderful excuse for my husband to share some quality father-daughter time with her for hours and days on end.  Meanwhile, it's time for this mama to mentally recharge and experience a creative, colorful and textural explosion of inspiration all around me.  While strolling though the marketplace and knitting at the Hyatt completely surrounded by so many amazing crafters, I couldn't stop smiling and thinking about how lucky we all are to even have the time to enjoy such wonderful hobbies.  There are so many people, moms especially, that don't have free-time for jack shit.  Then there is this one magical (long) weekend where we can leave all of the BS at the door and escape to another fiber filled dimension.  It always has such a positive transformative affect on me.



I just finished my 3rd ever pair of socks.  It was so exhilarating to drop by the Dragonfly Fibers booth and show them what I made with their Selkie Sock yarn in the Firecracker colorway.


This is a great pattern for beginners.


The pattern was written for DPNs but it was simple to adjust it for magic loop.


These socks fit perfectly and they are soooo...soft!


Kristine and I took a 3 hr long class on Japanese Crochet.  


When we initially signed up for it we had no idea what it was actually going to be about and even after we received our supply requirements, we were still unsure.  So, it turns out that the class wasn't about learning a new style of Japanese crochet stitches.  It was actually about how to interpret Japanese crochet patterns even if you can't read Japanese.  In this class we studied some Pierrot yarn patterns and learned some helpful hints to decoding various schematics and stitch charts.


It was interesting but not at all challenging. I made a leaf shaped mug rug.  I left the class feeling somewhat more curious about Japanese crochet patterns but not totally enthralled.


On Saturday night I finally finished my 2nd Flatiron Shawl! It came out perfectly and I am totally in love with the fade.


This morning Xena assisted with the photo shoot. :)


This is such a fun and simple pattern.  I plan to always have one on my hook for travel and social crocheting situations.


 I don't really have much to add from when I tried this pattern for the first time last year.


All I can really say is that it looks great and feels amazing!



And Xena likes it too! :)








No comments:

Post a Comment