Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Octagonal Origami Boxes

Today was a beautiful and extremely productive day.  The sun was bursting through our windows all day.  We just got a new chair for our record room and I spent the entire morning reorganizing our little cottage to make enough space for it.  The result is that many of my owls have relocated to our living room.

After all of my new space making, I decided to sit down and relax with some origami.






With Mother's Day fast approaching, I often think of my mom, how much she loves holidays and how she's always inspired me to create my own unique packaging and greeting cards for any special occasion.  Over the years I've presented her with any number of origami creations.  Unfortunately, many of these nimbly folded objects don't hold much utility.  One can only do so much with paper shrimp, the complete metamorphasis of a tadpole to frog (in origami) or 1,000 paper cranes (although they might bring you some good luck).

However, origami can be used for more than just folding cute little creatures.  One of the finest, most personal gifts can often be in the packaging in itself.  These octagonal origami boxes are a gift in themselves.  They can be reused and treasured as keepers of special keepsakes.  They are so simple and fun to create.  Once you get going, you won't be able to stop.  You can make them in a variety of sizes and color or pattern combos.  You don't even have to use origami paper to make them; you can use anything, used magazines, newspapers, etc.


There's a quick and easy to follow tutorial HERE.


May your days been filled with many happy folds!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, they are gorgeous and totally inspiring. Happy day, Tam x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey girl! I'm glad you like them. They're so much fun to make. It's impossible to make just one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. My son loves origami. I think this will be fun for him. Plus maybe we can use them as gift boxes when we start selling the pottery pendant necklaces at JaysClay. Thanks.

    -Becky
    www.jaysclay.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Becky,
    I have a friend in the UK whose son loves origami too. When I was over there last month, we went to lunch and he was folding the entire time. I was really impressed with his speed and agility. It's definitely best to start when you're young.

    You have a great shop. I love your bowls. Really beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete