Tuesday, March 9, 2021

The Weekender Knit Sweater by Andrea Mowry

I have to admit that seeing multiple versions of this sweater on display at fiber festivals across the country is not only what inspired me to knit my own but also to challenge myself to knit a sweater in a much different design than a classic top down raglan. 




I knit the worsted version but there's also a light version which I assume uses fingering weight yarn.


I learned 2 great new techniques knitting this sweater - a tubular cast-on and tubular bind-off, both in 1x1 rib.


These subtle details really help to give the sweater a professionally finished look.


I knit size 3 of the sweater using Knitted Wit 100% SWM Worsted yarn in Rock Candy Pink.  I bought 6, 200 yd hanks of yarn and barely used the 6th one.


I've previously knit with both DK and fingering weight Knitted Wit yarn and it's truly a pleasure to work with.  It's very soft and fluffy.


The design of this sweater is intentionally boxy with 10 whole inches of positive ease!


It's both cozy and flattering and I really love how by working the body inside out, it creates beautiful natural color blended purls on the RS with hand-dyed yarn.


I started this sweater back in early February while simultaneously working on some other projects.  I really took my time with it.  I didn't work on it everyday and mainly just picked it up when I wanted to relax.  


Once it's set up, it's a lot of mindless knitting in stockinette which makes for a great mobile project.


I love when my nails match my WIP!


The WS of this sweater is just as beautiful as the RS.


I didn't mind how the sweater looked before I wet blocked it and in retrospect, I probably could've even gotten away with just steam blocking it.


The stitches relaxed so beautifully after wet blocking though! 


Like the sweater I knit before this, I believe I could also slide into the next smaller size of this sweater for a just as flattering yet more fitted and cropped look.


In other news, I'm about to knit the fanciest pair of socks EVAR...


I've also been helping out with the Atelier Marin move.  The shop is in the process of relocating from San Anselmo to San Rafael.


I haven't forgetton that I still need to document the unboxing of the most amazing fiber-related package I've ever received but I'm about to get on a virtual tour of a potential preschool for Xena and I don't have time for it now.  Soon though, soon!






No comments:

Post a Comment