Wednesday, March 17, 2021

A Random update, socks and thangs

 Last Saturday, Irina assisted me with the Atelier Marin (San Anselmo) move to San Rafael.  We really couldn't have done it without all of her help! 


Personally, unpacking the yarn and organizing the displays this week was a lot more fun than packing them up the week before.  Judging by Amanda's daily updates in her IG stories, it looks like the shop is on track for a successful (re)opening tomorrow.  I am so jealous of all of the space, natural light and central heat and A/C they have in the new store!


I knit 2 baby Flax sweaters in the past couple months (just gifted over the past week), both with Tahki Homespun Donegal tweed that I bought from Aaron Perlstein back in the beginning of the pandemic.

This one was for baby Armen who is turning 1 in a few weeks.

This one is for my friend, Greg Foat's baby.  Greg also happens to be my favorite contemporary musician.  We used to work together (with Fryer) at Jazzman and he has releases on Jazzman and Fryer's label, Athens of the North.  Xena has literally grown up listening to all of his releases.  


Anyway, it's hard to tell from the photos but Armen's sweater is ecru and olive green and Greg's little one's sweater is silver grey and dark green.  I still have a few leftover balls and hanks of this yarn in different colors that will most likely eventually be put into use in another giant granny square blanket.

I finally unboxed my extraordinary box of Kindred Red yarn!!! There are too many colors to list but I will be sure to describe them in detail as I use them.  This is the package I was so excited to receive and it was my gift to myself to fill the void of being unable to Stitches IRL this past winter and spring.


I'm going to use 3 different Kindred Red colorways along with a hank of HHF in the upcoming Comfort Fade Cardi KAL being co-hosted by La Bien Aimee and The Grocery Girls that starts on the 19th.


I just finished knitting these socks in Bumblebee Acres Bubble Sock Yarn which is 80% SWM/20% silk.  I used the Outlander inspired "Claire" colorway.  I've never watched the show and I have no idea what it's about.  I bought this yarn at Rhinebeck a couple years ago because it looked and felt so amazing.


The 20% silk makes the socks extra soft but honestly, a little too stretchy for my liking.  I knit these socks on 1's.  I probably should've used 0's but I'm hoping they will just naturally shrink over time.


I've also ceased subscribing to this company's newsletters because a lot of their colorways are based on Harry Potter themes and I simply cannot support JK Rowling or any HP fan shit after the despicable stance she took against trans peeps.  I informed BBA of how I felt but they never replied.  That being said, I was NEVER a fan of HP nor have I ever read a single HP book or watched any HP movies all of the way through.  I wonder if Xena will even want to get into this crap when she's older.  Ultimately, as far as fantasy goes, why settle for HP when you could have Studio Ghibli?  Perhaps it's insulting to Studio Ghibli to even try to compare the two!


Some people might assume that knitting is just an innocent hobby that doesn't require any deep thought and for some people that might be true but ethically choosing which artists and companies I support and why is very important to me.  I will admit that mostly due to sheer ignorance, that wasn't always the case but as I continue to grow and learn more about the industry, I try my best to make informed choices.


Finally, I wound my hank of Tanglewood "Port of Seattle", handspun 100% cashmere yarn.


Even the cake is a work of art!  I already started my socks but I'm not going to post any photos until I'm completely finished.


That's all for now.  I have plenty of WIPs on my needles and I expect to report back soon with some interesting progress reports.



No comments:

Post a Comment