Thursday, March 25, 2021

The Easiest Toddler Cardigan Ever

 Xena took these hilarious photos of me knitting a sleeve for her cardigan with my RBF without me noticing.  I posted them in my IG stories a few days ago but also wanted to archive them here.

I look so angry when I'm knitting but I'm actually super content and relaxed.

Recently, I noticed this super cute baby-toddler cardi pattern in our Adriafil Knitcol section at work and decided to knit one for Xena.  This pattern is free with a yarn purchase at Atelier.  I highly recommend it if you need knit a gift for a baby-toddler.  It comes in sizes 0-4 years.


I knit the largest size of the pattern with 4, 50g balls of yarn.


The pattern was extremely basic and there was a lot of seaming involved which although some may consider it to be more tedious than knitting a seamless sweater, it does add structure.  When/if I can ever take knitting classes IRL again, I really want to take a finishing class.  I know there's a ton of great techniques that I haven't tried yet and I want to learn more.


Of course, when I finally finished the sweater and asked Xena to try it on, she immediately requested pockets.  Luckily I had enough yarn leftover for 2 pockets.  I cast on 21 stitches and made each pocket with 8 rows of 1x1 ribbing (like the sleeve cuffs), plus 21 rows high in stockinette.  Although, in retrospect, if I wanted completely square pockets, perhaps I only needed an additional 13 rows of stockinette...

I'd like to make Xena at least 1 more cardi in this pattern before she grows out of it.  I'm thinking of a funky fresh, marled scrappy one.

As soon as I finished Xena's cardi, I cast on a cardi for myself.  I am currently participating in the #comfortknitwithuskal and fading together the 4 different yarns I posted in my previous post.  Many might consider this combination to be too bold, intense and unconventional but that's my style!  So far, I'm already well on way to fading in the 3rd color and it looks amazing!  I can't wait to share the finished cardi!


Finally, I want to share some totally amazing gifts I just received from my fiber friends, Julia and Irina.  They are the coolest gals and they know me so well that their gifts even coordinate with each other! The yarns featured in this photo are:

Lavender Lune 75% SWM/25% nylon fingering - 200 (x2)
Black Squirrel 100% South-American SWM - Wesley Merino sock - Cheeto Dust

^^^these yarns all have black light specs!

The Hood Fibers sock minis are 85% SWM/15% nylon in Sunlight and Pink Pop.

One of the silver stitch markers is shaped like a pine cone and the other is a sand dollar, both things from nature that are very dear to me.



No comments:

Post a Comment