Sunday, December 27, 2020

Super Scrappy Giant Granny Square Afghan

Back in early September I started this Super Scrappy Giant Granny Square Afghan.  I made decent progress throughout September and enjoyed tracking and updating about its progress on IG but then we had an insane heatwave and my blanket grew to the point that it was no longer a transportable project.   


I became militantly focused on finished all of my holiday knitting projects and only managed to capture this one photo of the blanket's evolution in the background of some rad supplies I acquired from Ritual Dyes in PDX at the end of November.


Historically, I've crocheted each round a different color until I start the edging but this time I wanted to try an extra large cream frame and because of the extreme contrast, I am so pleased with the results!


Because I tend to make so many gifts for others, it was a very nice treat to have something finished all for myself (and my family) right after X-Mas.  I finally finished it last night but it was already too dark outside to shoot decent photos.  I've been anxiously waiting to write about all of the gifts I made but I am still waiting for a few to be received before I post about them.  In the meantime, I plan to post about a few different FOs that have been pleasantly received over the next week or so.


This blanket was a hilarious combination of the highest and shittiest quality of yarns with some decent fiber content in between.  I always just use whatever leftovers hopefully fit and aren't too similar to the previous round(s).  I try to keep the weight between sport and aran, crazy but true!


This blanket fits a queen size bed.  Last night was my first time sleeping with it and it is most definitely winter ready!  

In the forthcoming months I will be crocheting some shop sample blankets for Atelier and I look forward to posting their progress and completion.  Some knitters frown upon crochet and the basic simplicity of granny squares but since I'm an OG crocheter, no matter how much I knit, I will always have mad respect for a good old fashioned granny.


No comments:

Post a Comment