Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Crochet Coatlicue Top from Pompom Quarterly Issue #33

After helping my best crochet buddy, Kristine, pick out some yarn to knit her own Coatlicue Top from Pompom Quarterly Issue #33, I was inspired to crochet my own.  This was my first really serious attempt at Mosaic Crochet and OMG, it is SO MUCH FUN but definitely a lot slower than just ordinary crochet!

Based on my size, I decided to knit size 3 of the pattern which called for an E hook used throughout the body and sport weight linen yarn.  I decided to stash dive and first tried crocheting with some sport weight wool but it was (unsurprisingly) too heavy and ultimately end up using a D hook throughout the body and the following yarn:

Color A: The Fibre Co. Arranmore light Donegal heritage ("a tweedy blend of fine merino wool, cashmere and silk") in St. Claire
Color B: Sandnes Garn Alpakka in 4109 
Color C: Sandnes Garn Alpakka in 6554

                                

Both B and C were purchased while I was in Norway and leftover from the Block Stitch Baby Afghan I crochet for Xena back in 2017.


All 3 of these yarns are basically fingering weight and the hook size was perfect.  When I initially began working the first few rounds of the vest, I was like, "What the...?!", but once I started making progress in the colorwork chart, things really started to come together.


This is what the body looks like once the colorwork chart is complete.


At this point, it could be worn as a groovy cowl.




It took me less than 3 weeks to crochet this vest and only a couple hours to complete the very minimal seaming and edging.


The pattern was very easy to understand.  The only thing I did differently was moving the join of the beginning of every round to the back (instead of the front) since my jog isn't the prettiest.


I really love the layered affected of mosaic crochet!


I also love the griddle stitch worked on the top of the vest.


Using a high contrast color on the edging really pulls the whole vest together.



The vest even looks great inside out!


...well except for my BEG round join.


You really just gotta see and feel the texture of this thing IRL though!


Even the close ups barely do it justice.


This vest feels so good and fits so perfectly.  It looks great from so many different angles that I posed for a ton of photos.


Mad props to my IG hus for pausing to shoot these photos on his way to work this morning.








I'm so stoked and I can't wait to stash dive to crochet another!  


No comments:

Post a Comment