Sunday, October 4, 2020

Atelier Luxury Gaiter Pattern #371 with a 100% cotton liner

I was so intrigued by Amanda's Luxury Gaiter Pattern #371 that I immediately cast one on using a 115g hank of HHF Skinny Dip/DK 100% Wolle that I bought a while back in KindredRed's destash sale.  I love this bright aqua color so much and HHF is one of my favorite yarn companies.  The pattern is free with a yarn purchase at Atelier.  Amanda knit samples in Madeline Tosh Pashmina and Prism Petite Madison.  I think most DK or sport weight yarn would work fine.


In the time of Corona, I've worn a variety of masks and have quickly realized my personal mask preferences. With winter right around the corner, I thought it would be a great idea to take this pattern to the next level and put a 100% cotton liner inside of it.  I wanted to make something that was warm but also breathable and washable.

The gaiter itself is the quickest knit ever.  It took me less than 48 hrs to knit.  With this specific yarn, I only managed a total of 13 increases (the pattern calls for 17), which fits me fine and I knit the last 4 rows in 2 x 2 ribbing instead of stockinette.


With the heat we've had lately, it only took about 2.5 days for the gaiter to finish blocking.


In case it isn't already obvious, knitted fabric is very elastic so if you want to put a billowy liner inside of a knit garment, the liner needs to be a lot bigger.  As far as gaiters and cowls are concerned, the most important measurement is making sure the liner is big enough to fit over your head.  To obtain my measurements, I put on the gaiter and then took measuring tape and measured it at the top, middle and bottom.  Then I added a little bit of ease and came up with these specs:

Top circumference - 25"
Middle circumference - 25"
Bottom Circumfrence - 38"

Then I roughly sketched that out on cotton fabric using a yard stick, design styling ruler and pencil.  I'm no seamstress.  The most sewing instruction I ever received was in Home Ec. class in 7th or 8th grade.  When I sew things, I know I'm probably not doing things how a pro would but things somehow usually miraculously work out in the end.


I left a 1/2" of selvage around my pattern, pinned the 2 pieces together and cut it out with pinking shears.  Then I sewed the sides together on the sewing machine, turned my tube outside in and top stitched around the top and the bottom of my liner.


Then i inserted the liner into the gaiter and clothes pinned the edges, constantly stretching the gaiter before I pinned it, similar to pinning elastic into the top of a skirt.  The TECHknitting blog has the best instructions for how to hand sew a liner into knit fabric.


I love hand sewing.  While some people consider it to be tedious and old fashioned, I find it very soothing and relaxing.


I sewed the entire liner during less than 2 quarters of a NFL game if anyone is wondering how long it takes to complete.

This is the top opening of the gaiter.


You can kind of see how fluffy the liner is when the finished gaiter is laying flat.


It feels so much more comfortable than wearing a traditional mask with elastic around my ears and it is SO warm, yet super breathable.  It can be worn above or below the ears.  Although the virus inspired me to make this, I look forward to wearing it long after it's hopefully disappeared. 

No comments:

Post a Comment