Sunday, October 27, 2019

Rhinebeck Recap

My trip to the Rhinebeck Sheep & Wool Festival in Upstate NY was everything I could've wished for and much more!  On the wooly weathered night I arrived, I had a scrumptious meal in a warm and friendly atmosphere at Foster's Coach House Tavern.  I had many delicious dining experiences throughout the trip but as this isn't a food blog, this is the only food photo I'm going to post.


(Sorry vegans) grilled pork chops, red cabbage sauerkraut, apple sauce, a baked potato and string beans sauteed in garlic with an Ithaca Beer Co. Flower Power IPA (or 3) for a tab that cost less than some shitty takeaway in SF.


I stayed at the Mirbeau Inn and Spa which was less than a mile from the Dutchess County Fairgrounds.  It's a brand new hotel and they hadn't even finished building it when I made my reservation months ago and was lucky enough to secure the last available room!  It was a lovely place to stay and I highly recommend it.  My knitting pal, Amber, took the train up from BK and shared the room with me from Fri-Sun and we enjoyed it so much that we already booked an advance reservation for next year.


Groovy yarn display in the window at A.L. Stickle 5 & Dime Store on the high street.


Great view of the Hudson at the Rhinecliff-Kingston train station.


I started these socks in SF and finished them during my trip.  They're knit on size 6 needles with Malabrigo SWM Rios in 841 Tranquilo using my favorite Atelier ribbed sock pattern.


The festival is literally Lambtown on steroids.  It's basically Lambtown x 100 with stronger county fair vibes, especially with the food tent offering tantalizing taste testings of a myriad of local produce and booze, the smorgasbord of food trucks and countless fiber themed competitions.


The weather was perfect.  My company was divine.  The vendors were endless and the quality of their products impressive!


 We arrived right when the gates opened at 9 AM and besides a brief lunch break, it took until the gates closed at 5PM for us to finish exploring the grounds.  It was very inspirational to be surrounded by so many talented and enthusiastic fiber artists and to see so many (different interpretations of) amazing patterns and products.


Great license plate spotted on our way out of the fest and a shot of my purchases.  Not featured in the photo, the other 7 hanks of The Periwinkle Sheep merino aran gold rush I bought.  The other 2 hanks in the photo are Hubcity Fibers Yummy SWM Aphrodisiac which I was lucky enough to find as a free gift in the ATM hut and Bumblebee Acres Fiber Farm Bubble Sock SWM "Claire" Outlander.  My adorable fimo stitch markers were made by WeeOnes and my beechwood yarn bowl was made by Yellow Dog Farm.


The fall foliage was spectacular!


One last photo of the final morning of my trip, sock knitting at a dear old friend's apartment in Ridgewood, Queens.  All and all, an awesome trip!  Can't wait for next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment