Wednesday, December 12, 2018

My first socks and more!

As I mentioned a few posts back, I've started taking knitting classes.  The classes are great!  I love my instructor and the other students are so fun and inspirational.  Last night I completed my first pair of socks.  They took 2 weeks from start to finish and now that I have the hang of them, I imagine I'll be able to knit them a lot quicker in the future.  Before I ever tried socks, because of the pretentious way other knitters had described them in the condescending way they tend to communicate with crocheters, I always imagined that they would be extremely difficult and/or time consuming to learn.  With regards to this pattern, I never could've been more mistaken!  The pattern was very simple and straight forward; the vast majority of the work is quite thoughtless and repetitive and a delightful addition to bing watching TV.


In the spirit of X-Mas, I couldn't resist doing red and green socks.  


 They are so warm and cozy and they fit me perfectly!


Here's a rolly-brimmed hat I just finished knitting in the stockinette stitch with some fun color pooling yarn for my penpal in Italy.


I used Lion Brand Wool-Ease in Coney Island.


I love the spiral star finishing at the top of the hat!


This yarn is super bulky. I used 10.5 circulars and double pointed needles.


Even the interior looks beautiful!


 These ribbed hats are the first hats I learned to knit in the round.  I used 10.5 circular and double pointed needles with bulky Knitpicks acrylic I had leftover from making Xena's Halloween costume.

Below are my dear friends in Connecticut, Milly and Ian, modelling their hats.  There is nothing more satisfying than learning a new skill to make useful gifts for friends!

The creamy colored hat on the bottom right is the very first hat I made.  I used Baby Alpaca Grand and even though it's luxuriously soft and ridiculously expensive, it's a total pain in the ass to knit with and I doubt I'll ever use it again.



 Finally, here's Eelco's little baby modelling his hat on the means streets of Amsterdam, Holland. I crocheted it back in March and he finally just grew into it. Last but not least is one of my current crochet WIPs that I am hoping to finish by the end of the week and then I'll post some photos.


 In addition to any number of WIPs and random holiday projects, I just picked up the yarn for my seamless sweater knitting class starting in January.  My homework between now and then is knitting and blocking a swatch to test my gauge.  I'm quite curious to find out if can make the gauge.  Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment