Friday, February 15, 2019

What I did on Valentine's Day

Yesterday morning, my husband caught a flight to Phoenix, AZ to judge a stamp show in Mesa.  Technically, we celebrated VD a couple days earlier by hiring a babysitter and going to dinner at one of our favorite spots down on the wharf but he also surprised me with a very pretty bouquet of flowers and a luxurious set of Lykke interchangeable knitting needles.


So yesterday afternoon, in the midst of a torrential downpour, Xena and I went on a sewing supply run to Joann's, then we stopped at Safeway for only the essentials: a big bottle of wine and some fried chicken and then I spent the rest of my hubby-free evening having a very romantic time with my sewing machine.


Back in November, while simply practicing my garter stitch with some totally awesome HHF yarn, I started knitting a giant rectangle and I got the bright idea that because I have so many different random needles, (at the risk of sounding like a junkie) I wanted to make my own needle supply bag.  But then my project went on the back burner during my knitting classes and only this week did I finally bind off my giant rectangle.


I wish I could tell you the name of this colorway but Xena literally ate the skein's label.  At least I know she's getting plenty of fiber in her diet...


I didn't follow any specific pattern for this project.  I just had a rough idea in my head.  I bought a yard of some cheap-ass 50% off clearance fabric, matching all purpose thread, some interfacing and Velcro.  I downloaded a Joann's coupon and spent less than $20 on all of the supplies.


I first learned how to use a sewing machine in Home & Careers class back in middle school.  I'll never forget the felt ice cream cone shaped pillow that I made with top stitched hand embroidery.  I've always wanted to take real sewing classes and I'm sure I will eventually but for the past few decades, sometimes follow patterns but mostly I just wing it.


Overall, this was a very satisfying project.  The measuring, cutting, ironing, pinning and sewing on the machine were the easy parts but completing the hand embroidery around the edges was a total pain in the ass, specifically on the top flap side!


It's now Saturday evening.  I am utterly exhausted after a hysterical day of teething that started with blood splashing and splattering out of Xena's mouth like a vampire in a brothel full of virgins.  Finally, our poor little girl is sound asleep and I am anxiously anticipating getting a few rounds in on my sock before I pass out myself.  So sweet dreams to all and to all a good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment